Volunteer or Donate
Voluntary Service is committed to supporting the Bedford VAMC mission to improve the lives of our Veteran patients. The Volunteer program’s goal is to provide hospital staff with clinical, administrative, and technical volunteer support through the recruitment of qualified, motivated, and patient focused individuals.
Bedford VA Medical Center benefits from the services of over 700 individual volunteers each year. Over 75 volunteers are on duty each day helping to make this a health care center of excellence. Volunteers from all ages and life experiences serve in many capacities at the Bedford VAMC. The mission of the Bedford VAMC Volunteer Program is to be recognized as a leader in the utilization of volunteers, community resources and charitable donations and to enhance Veteran satisfaction through the delivery of compassionate, high quality care.
There are a wide variety of Volunteer Opportunities available at the Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital. Positions are available to suit your individual interests. Assignments are available during the day, evenings and weekends.
A few examples of volunteer assignments are:
- Greenhouse Volunteer- Help create therapeutic programs around horticulture for our hospitalized Veterans.
- Shuttle Driver- Drive an eight passenger golf cart to transport Veterans and visitors throughout hospital grounds.
- Information Desk- Greet visitors, provide directions to various areas within the hospital, and answer general information questions
- Chapel Escort-Transport patients in wheelchairs or on gurneys to and from the chapel to attend Catholic Mass on Saturday 4:00 pm or Sunday 10:00 am or Protestant Service on Sunday 9:00 am.
- Office Administration- Support employees with general clerical work to include answering phone, filing, word processing, data input and reception of Veteran patients and visitors.
- Volunteer Drivers- Drive government vehicles to transport Veterans to scheduled medical appointments at the hospital. Must pass a physical; possess valid drivers license and auto insurance.
- Adopt-a-Veteran– Volunteer weekly one-on-one with a hospitalized Veteran.
- Recreation- Accompany patients to activities both on and off campus. Help with event set-up and bring patients from their rooms to participate in activities.
- Adopt-a-Ward Program- A volunteer group sponsors recreation activities on various in-patient units.
- Coffee Program Volunteer- Visit inpatient units and serve coffee to patients.
For more information please call Volunteer Service at 781-687-3076 to make an appointment for an interview.